Thursday 19 September 2013

After the flood

An overnight stay in Tewkesbury enabled me to get acquainted with a town I'd never visited, but knew of as the scene of a dreadful flood in 2007. Two months worth of rain fell in 14 hours and 95% of homes locally were without water at some point over that time.



Notice how the abbey sits on the highest ground, such as it is. And a very beautiful abbey it is too.














My walk took me across the fields which are submerged at the top of the picture above. The mill (below, right) can be seen stranded (top centre) above:


 

The Severn and the Avon join together here, flowing on South as the Severn, through Gloucester to the sea.. It's very flat countryside, with the small Bredon Hilll looking quite substantial as a result. The plump sheep were clearly not the rugged upland Lake District ones I've seen a lot of over the past few years:




No comments:

Post a Comment