Wednesday 1 January 2014

Wet but wonderful new year walk in the Lake District

31st December, my last chance of 2013 for an outing, and mercifully the deluge which had been around for days (it seemed) lifted for a few hours, making for a pleasant walk from Grasmere. 

Heading out along Easedale Road as if to climb Helm Crag, but turning West to climb up Easedale to the tarn, I met few people in search of New Year's Eve fresh air. 

The views were stunning, the bracken rich bright russet, and the crags dark and ominous above the path. The sturdy and stoic Herdwicks were still up on the fells before lambing.

Easedale Tarn is a lovely spot, not far from the honeypot village of Grasmere with its upmarket hotels, but seemingly a world away. This simple 8 mile walk was the perfect preparation for a big dinner later that evening.

The waterfalls, as so often locally, are named Sour Milk Gill for obvious reasons, and were in spate down the steep hillside, feeding the swollen valley streams below.

 I did carry a paper map but once again I used the OS mapping app on my phone and it worked pretty well, with just a bit of delay shifting to a new area on the map. Carrying a spare phone means I can still make calls even when the mapping uses up most of my main phone's battery, and a phone is much less flappy in strong wind than a paper map!

Unfortunately the wet weather had left the tarn path very boggy and my well worn boots were finally found out as no longer being waterproof. They are fabric boots, low cut for comfort and with a GoreTex lining; they must be at least five years old and have probably lasted much longer than intended, especially being used for all year round walking across rocky ground and in deep snow. I'm rather sad that they've reached the end of their useful life but also quite excited to have a good reason to buy a new pair.

As usual I head first for The Climber's Shop in Ambleside, which has offered good advice in the past. After trying on pretty much everything that seemed vaguely relevant, I settled on a basic pair of Zamberlan leather boots, the Ultra Lite, with GoreTex - almost all boots seem to have it now, and I'm a  fan. It's years since I bought 'proper' leather boots, since the slipper-like feel of fabric boots is so appealing, but these really did feel comfortable right from the box. I walked the Pennine Way in a very similar pair of Zamberlans and I'm hoping these will be as comfortable and as long-lasting.


No comments:

Post a Comment