Thursday 25 April 2013

An unexpected and moving find


A couple of weeks ago, I was on taxi duty to Cannock and had to kill some time before heading home. Driving aimlessly around looking for somewhere for a stroll, I found myself in Cannock Chase, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which I'm not familiar with, and came across signs for the German War Cemetery. I was intrigued and headed for it, and it was well worth a visit.




The cemetery is a resting place for German soldiers who were buried locally to where they died, and were later brought together with their compatriots in this central location. Most head stones have at least two names, perhaps unintentionally giving a sense of companionship.



The setting sun and the lingering snow evoked a mood of tranquility and reflection. Had I been visiting a fallen relative, I think I'd have felt it an appropriate setting.


1 comment: