Sunday 7 July 2013

Getting excited...

... and it isn't just the tennis, gripping though it was. I'm looking forward to my August week in the Lake District, the place which inspired me to start this blog just after my annual Easter trip there. I've never been before in the height of summer (I am not great at whole days of exposure to hot sun) so the possibility of long day walks outside the scope of a Spring or Autumn visit means some tantalising planning ( as well as high factor sun cream and unflattering headgear).

First thoughts are horseshoes - Newlands, Mosedale, Buttermere....

Then there are parts of the Lakes which, so far, I've never explored - Bassenthwaite, Blencathra, the fells south of Eskdale...

For me, planning is a significant part of the pleasure of the experience.

And there are my two new (in fact, as yet more or less untried) interests, namely trail running (I daren't aspire to the term 'fell running', that seems to be asking for trouble) and wild swimming. I have bought two issues of Trail Runner and I am about to order a pair of swimming goggles suitable for the massively myopic, which will mean I can't decently back out of at least trying both.

Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment