Thursday 8 August 2013

Pike by name...

... and pike by nature. Wansfell Pike is a pretty steep climb, rising out of the centre of Ambleside and leading over to the small village of Troutbeck. Last time I did this walk, there was snow on the ground (it was Easter) and people were 'sledging' down the Western slope on their waterproofs. The walled lane on the Eastern slope was completely filled with snow drifts so that I walked at the height of the tops of the walls.

Today it was fine and dry, although in lots of places there were small streams trickling down the hill after Monday's rains. Earlier in the week, I was spooked by reading the local Ambleside and Langdale Mountainn Rescue Team's yearbook; around half their call-outs were caused by a slip or a fall resulting in a lower leg injury. As I dread having to call on their services, and the idea of a broken ankle would mean problematic time off work, I took this to heart and started thinking about how I could reduce the risk of me being listed in their 2014 yearbook.

As a first step, I decided to try out some walking poles, which are claimed to increase stability on ascents and descents. This was my first proper outing with them and I did feel more secure on difficult terrain. I also felt like I'd taken a step towards infirmity, and at times they did get in the way, but on balance I think they may be a good idea.

The big fell in the centre of this picture from the top is Loughrigg Fell, scene of a walk earlier in the week; the town is Ambleside.


Part of the appeal of today's walk was the excellent Troutbeck pub, the Mortal Man, apparently the winner of the best pub garden award, and I can believe it. The view towards the West flank of the Kentmere Round is tremendous. As an added bonus, the garden was full of handsome dogs.








I also like its quirky sign... look carefully...



 This fell is Red Screes, the planned walk for the last day of the holiday tomorrow. The aim is to go up the valley to the left (West) of it, to climb the shoulder to the summit and then to head South down the ridge back into Ambleside.

The route back to Ambleside today is by Robins Lane, a gentle amble on decent tracks, some of which is through tranquil woodland past Jenkyn's Crag, a popular viewing point.

Altogether today's walk was around 8 miles (I forgot to turn the monitoring app off at the end, duh) and it was a terrific day.

No comments:

Post a Comment